(Our house in Spring. Mason took this shot using his new fisheye lens, courteous of an early anniversary present from Ellen)
Mason has been TDY (temporary duty) assignment for the past two weeks, and has one more week to go in beautiful Fairbanks, Alaska. Although Mason is in the 20th Bomb Squadron at Barksdale the other squadron (the less cool one) needed an additional co-pilot to go with them to Red Flag Alaska; Mason was the lucky one to go! Those of you who have been following along in our adventures from the beginning have read about past TDYs (IFS, SERE, etc...) this one is probably one of the cooler ones in my opinion. I mean it's Alaska!It has been an interesting experience for me this time because there's been a different sense of "missing him." Despite the halfway point breakdown last night, this has been a mostly tear-free TDY, which makes me feel good because I know that I can manage things at home while he's gone. Truth be told, I have the best friends and we've been partying it up almost every night, so missing Mason hasn't been a focal point of the past two weeks. Mason will certainly post a blog when he returns telling all the ins and outs, but for now here's one of the photos he's sent.
Here on the homefront I've been crazy busy! I started my online Masters Program in literacy and technology a little over two months ago and I just completed my first class with a 99% A. I don't think I've ever worked so hard. My next class starts next week, and I've already read some of the text books, so I'm hoping that will give me a slight headstart on some of the work load. The week of the 12th was state testing followed up with prom on Saturday night. I was suckered into taking the Junior Class this year at my school and basically was in charge of prom. There was a little stress the week before in dealing with picky teenagers and decorations, but overall the event turned out great. I had a blast!
Yesterday we took students who had no discipline problems at all to the 
(Me with some of my Senior Drama Club members at Prom)
(Me with some of my Senior Drama Club members at Prom)
Louisiana Boardwalk. This was an awesome trip for me because I didn't have to drive to school, I was instead able to drive a short 10 minutes and have a great time with the kids. We played glo-in-the-dark mini golf and then let the kids shop or go to movies. It was a great end of the week treat, because this week seemed to go on forever. May 6th is our play, The Wizard of Oz, which I also directed, so I'm looking forward to that being over and then I can slide into summer.
Last night I attended my first event with our new squadron. There was a potluck at the squadron and I got to meet some other families in the 20th. I was afraid to go at first, but I busted out of my shell and decided to go even without Mason there as my buffer. This weekend is the airshow on base, and I had a great time today. Luckily my friends let me latch on to their family most of the day, but I think we all had fun, and I obtained the annual airshow sunburn. One of my students was actually there and got sworn into the Air Force today, so that was pretty cool for me to witness.
(Me with a handful of my students at the Boardwalk)
This week brings more girls' nights, a squadron spouse dinner, play practice and more. I'm ready for Mason to get home next weekend, and then the one month countdown to Japan begins!
(I was at the Air Show...more photos on Facebook!)

No comments:
Post a Comment