Monday, March 15, 2010

The husband who tries to give his wife a heart attack





I love my husband dearly. He's a wonderful, amazing man, but sometimes I think he's trying to kill me.

Mason and I are trying to find more fun ways to work-out. The weather in Shreveport is beautiful (70s and sunny) and our window between cold and 100 will not last long. As you can see from the last post, we've been enjoying the East side of base which is a wonderful nature reserve area. Since we've moved here we have had a list of "must-sees" before we move, especially since we were told so many of the animals were spotted on base. On our last hike we were able to add several to the list, hogs and live armadillos included. That meant, that the alligator was left on our "must-see" list. Well, on yesterdays hike we got to see our gator.

Some of you might say, what's so bad about that...and really that was the cool part of the hike. It was the last part of the walk, just before we got to the car, we decided to look in the lake one more time. We were lucky enough to see a gator. We're guessing it was probably 4-5 feet, but hard to tell since it was in the water. It was pretty awesome! Shortly after Mason found an animal skull (which is now sitting besides me, as this obviously have to become office decor).

Now you still might be wondering what it so bad...well, the walk was in a new area we hadn't been to before, but it was mostly a path surrounded by river/bayou. The bushes along the path weren't too thick but the birds and squirrels darting through them were enough to keep you on your toes. I was walking along the path and heard a noise next to ma and looked over to see the squirrel that was likely in the bushes next to me...OH NO...SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!! I have never run so fast in my life. Mason was just kind of standing there, trying to take in what happened. I just took off, I was partly shocked that I was even able to make out that it was a snake because it blending in very well, but Mason stayed back and took some pictures. This made for a very tense walk afterwards as every little noise now, surely had to be a snake...ugh!

So, being the kind husband that Mason was, he stayed up (was forced to) while I couldn't sleep from snake dreams last night.

No comments: