Friday, January 1, 2021

A Hiking We Will Go

For 2020, I was inspired by a friend, who lives in the PNW, to set a hiking goal.  This was a way to move my body, clear my head, see new parts of Nebraska/Iowa, and engage with my family.  

My goal was 25 hikes for the year.  I figured 2 hikes a month, plus a bonus hike was doable, also thinking that we'd do less in winter months and more in warmer months and it would balance out.  

 When the world locked down due to Covid-19 hiking was a great outlet for us.  We couldn't be cooped up inside all the time, and being out in nature, hiking trails allowed us to be in nature, social-distance from others, and use our imaginations.  

There was much grumbling at times from the kids.  I have tried to remind them that they have fun 90% of the time once we're hiking and exploring, so skipping the whining would be nice...they don't seem to go for it.  Recently I've been saying, "each complaint equals a day of the ipad being taken away."  That's been helping a bit.  I also realized it helped a little to prepare them the day beforehand with my expectations that we'd be hiking, so they could be a little more mentally prepared.  

Well, thanks to some extra free time with Covid, I am finishing the year having logged 71 hikes!!!  I am so proud.  I was really good at documenting our hikes on the blog earlier in the year, but as the hikes increased, my blogging decreased...but we had fun, and I have photos from all our journeys. 

(Fun fact, hike #25 was at Mahoney State Park and hike #70 was at the same place)  Hike 25 was my first time there with the kids and hike 70 was Mason's first time there.  I originally thought hike 70 was it for the year, but the kids and I squeezed in one last hike.  :) 

 

1 1-Jan     Indian Cave State Park
2 4-Jan     Swanson Park
3 20-Jan     Platte River State Park
4 2-Feb     Walnut Creek Lake Trail
5 16-Feb     Preparation Canyon State Park
6 6-Mar        Schramm State Park
7 13-Mar     Hitchcock Nature Center
8 16-Mar     Botna Bend Park
9 17-Mar     Schramm State Park
10 22-Mar     Two Rivers State Park
11 23-Mar     Brent's Trail/Preparation Canyon State Park
12 25-Mar     Fontenelle Forest: Lower
13 29-Mar     Wehrspann Lake
14 30-Mar     Bellevue Historic Nature Trail
15 2-Apr     Fontenelle Forest
16 9-Apr     Waubonsie State Park
17 10-Apr     Calvin Crest Loop Trail
18 27-Apr     Desoto Wildlife Refuge
19 1-May     Bever Pond Trail/Heron Haven
20 6-May     Neale Forest
21 11-May     Swanson Park
22 12-May     Preparation Canyon State Park
23 18-May     Fontenelle Forest: Waconda
24 19-May     Fontenelle Forest
25 20-May     Mahoney State Park
26 21-May     Hummel Park
27 23-May     Fontenelle Forest: Lower
28 25-May     Walnut Creek Lake Trail
29 1-Jun     Platte River State Park: East
30 2-Jun     Swanson Park
31 6-Jun     Fontenelle Forest: Lower Wetlands/Hidden Lake
32 9-Jun     Fontenelle Forest
33 13-Jun     Ledges State Park
34 21-Jun     Whiterock Conservancy
35 23-Jun     Fontenelle Forest: Boardwalk
36 28-Jun     Fontenelle Forest: Lower
37 29-Jun     Blackhawk Neighborhood Trail
38 30-Jun     Arbor Day Farms
39 6-Jul     Memorial Park
40 10-Jul     Platte River State Park
41 11-Jul     Schramm State Park
42 13-Jul     Jewell Park
43 14-Jul     Lewis and Clark
44 17-Jul     Fontenelle Forest
45 1.4     Mahoney State Park
46 24-Jul     Fontenelle Forest
47 3-Aug     Hitchcock Nature Center
48 4-Aug     Glenwood Archaeological State Preserve
49 9-Aug     OPPD Arboretum
50 12-Aug     Swanson Park
51 14-Aug     Heron Haven
51 27-Aug     Fontenelle Forest: Camp Logan
53 8-Sep     Fontenelle Forest 
54 14-Sep     Schwer Park
55 12-Oct     Neale Forest
56 14-Oct     Chalco
57 16-Oct     Waubonsie State Park: Equestrian Trails
58 17-Oct     Fontenelle Forest: Middle
59 4-Nov     Glacier Creek Preserve
60 6-Nov     Swanson Park
61 14-Nov     Calvin Crest Loop Trail
62 17-Nov     Fontenelle Forest Lower
63 23-Nov     Tranquility
64 28-Nov     Platte River State Park
65 6-Dec     Jewell Park
66 9-Dec     Folsom Point
67 16-Dec     Platte River State Park
68 21-Dec     Botna Bend Park
69 26-Dec     Chalco
70 27-Dec     Mahoney State Park
71 28-Dec     OxBow Trail/Salt Creek


No comments: