Thursday, July 6, 2017

BBQ Fest and Block Party

I love long weekends, especially when Mason is home for them.  Over the 4th of July weekend Guam hosted their Annual BBQ Street Festival.  We didn't attend last year, and were pretty tired on Saturday afternoon/evening, but figured we'd go check it out anyways.  Not much could keep Mason away from his favorite meat on a stick.  The Guam BBQ style is a lot of meat or seafood skewered and then grilled.  Mason's favorite place is actually a small place in the mall near us, and I'm pretty sure they recognize him by now as it's a frequent stop after our beach days. 

We knew that the parking/traffic would probably be bad since the festival was held in Tumon Bay, which is basically the "strip" or "downtown" of Guam.  It's where all the fancy hotels and shops are, and there's basically one way in and one way out.  The traffic was what you'd expect, but we found a free spot that was a super short walk away, so while friends called it "insane", I'm not sure it had anything on a Chicago street festival crowd. 






It was a small area though and it was hard to tell which vendors had what and what the prices were, but we walked around and eventually Mason picked a line and hoped for the best.  He got some varieties of meat on a stick with a side of red rice (common side in Guam) and Woodrow got a spicy hot dog on a stick.  It was spicy!  I tried a bite.  We sat on the steps of a fancy store (maybe Gucci) and ate our BBQ, people watched, had an emergency bathroom trip for Woodrow, and soaked in the smells of BBQ.  I'm glad we went and it's little things like this that make Guam special. 

On Monday, the 3rd, we went to our street's block party.  It was lots of fun and relaxing.  We ended up staying home on Monday since we'd partied hard on Saturday and Sunday, so it was nice to go out and see neighbors, let the kids play at the park, and enjoy some good food.    One of our neighbors coordinated the last party for Memorial Day weekend, so I'm hoping this trend continues.  We like to do casual partying! 


No comments: