Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Giant Latte and Fonte Dam

Yesterday was the first day of Summer vacation and I have a list of fun things that I'd like to see and do with the kids this summer/our time here in Guam.  As it goes with most of the hikes I attempt with the kids I always tell them and myself that we'll start out, see how it goes, and if it gets to hard or sucky, we'll turn around.

The latte stone is famous in Guam and was used by the Chamorro people as building supports and now it is a sign of the Chamorro culture.  There is a giant latte here and every time the kids and I try to tour it, it has been closed.  Yesterday we were  able to catch it open, paid our $2 and climbed to the top.  It was a nice view of the ocean and areas around the middle of Guam.  The kids were excited to finally climb to the top.

Next we ate our PB&Js in the car and headed to the parking area for the Fonte Dam hike.  This hike took us about 55 minutes round trip.  In Guam, I've done stranger things that I wouldn't have done elsewhere.  One of my guides said you could park in a parking lot a little ways from the trail head, and another said I could drive down closer to the trail head, so we drove in the grass (next to some power lines) and parked on a hill. 


The hike was not too steep and had a few muddy areas.  We hiked through the forest/jungle and arrived at the top of the dam.  Theo and Woodrow especially liked when the trail would split and rejoin and they could walk on "mismatched" paths.  We climbed down to the bottom of the dam and the boys liked using a rope to steady themselves.  We didn't linger too long at the bottom of the dam since I didn't want to risk anyone slipping into the river.  On the way back we chugged our water.  The boys had sweat pouring down his head.  They were challenged to drink their entire water bottle before getting back to the car.  I should mention Maximus was a trooper and hung out in the backpack carrier and dozed off for a little bit.

On the way home we stopped at the Asan Bay Overlook and a bookstore for mom.  It was a fun day exploring.  We came home tired, muddy, and with lots of stories to tell Mason.

All pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100322846480639.1073741901.77800450&type=1&l=e2cd7b92ff

No comments: