Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Damn Yankees


Wow-we haven't posted a blog in a long time, and so much has been happening! This might be a long one folks. I'll start with Mason. Mason has been busy flying and training. His last flight was "canceled" due to problems with the plane. He had a night flight scheduled and two of the planes they tried were broken, so after hours of waiting on maintenance etc...they decided to cancel the flight. Unfortunate, it was the last flight of a two-flight block, so they don't get to redo the flight; unlike pilot training where you had to complete each sortie on the syllabus, here, you move on and try to accomplish more in the next flight. Mason's in academics today learning about bombs and weapons. He's moving into his third block which is the longest block of sims and flights. His flight commander is hoping that everyone will take their checkride before Christmas. Again, in pilot training, Mason had several checkrides in the program, here there is one. He's been busy studying at home and working on his master's classes in between activities.

I've been incredibly busy with school! We had midterms two weeks ago, which came up fast, but it means I've only got 8 weeks left with the freshmen. Good, but at the same time we've got a lot to cover. I just finished a poetry unit with them, and they really seemed to enjoy it. I must admit I'm not a huge poetry person, but I enjoyed it more once I taught it to my students. They made portfolios that I am having my T.A. laminate and bind together, so those are starting to look really nice. This week I'm out of school for Fall Break, but when we get back, we're starting Romeo and Juliet.

I'm so glad to have this break, to spend time focusing on me. A break is nice every once and a while to regroup, rest, and just be able to breathe. My calendar has quickly filled with events for Oct-Dec. and it seems like Christmas will be here in no time. I am going to several teaching workshops and trainings in the next few months, which are always fun, but lots of work to prepare to be absent from school. Prom is coming along, we're busy having fundraisers and such. We have a car wash planned for next weekend, but it might not stop raining. Drama Club is also working out nicely. Our play is on December 10th. I don't think they realize how soon that is with all the holidays in between, but they're really excited about it! I was also put in charge of the Veteran's Day program. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm going to worry about that another day. I'm still working at Sylvan, which is sometimes exhausting at the end of the day, but it's nice to work with the little ones who actually listen to what I tell them.

A few funny stories from school: The kids think I'm so strange because of things I saw, or act, because I'm not from the south. I too, find things amusing that they say and do. They know that I think it's hilarious when they say, "dis-play" like it is two separate words. They think I'm crazy because God can't be a source for their persuasive essays. The math teacher simply explained to them that I was like this because I'm a Yankee, and hence now I'm referred to as the Yankee. Oh if only I could let them see the ways of the North.

Another funny one, I sent home a permission slip for the students to watch a movie in class a month ago. Only one students parent signed that the daughter couldn't watch the movie. (The Great Debaters) I thought this was strange because out of all my students I thought she'd be the last one to have a "no." She had a baby right before school started, and has made is clear, that her parents don't care about her decisions anymore. So we were about to start the movie and I had an alternate assignment to work on in another classroom. She looked at me totally confused when I said she couldn't watch the movie. She began to argue that she could watch the movie. This went on for a minute, with me saying her parent said no, and she said yes, then finally she said "I signed the slip myself, I know I can watch this movie." I said, if you signed it, why did you sign that you couldn't watch the movie...silence, "oops..." Anyways, she had to call her parents to get permission. She must be the first person I've seen to forge a parent signature against what she really wanted.; but this was also the girl who went to get a "fraternity test" (she meant paternity)

Anyways...

It seems like Mason and I should build an ark because it's been raining for weeks! We're told it's not usually this wet in the Fall, especially since hurricanes haven't been bad, but we've had a lot of rain! In a break this weekend, Mason and I went to the East Side of base to take some fall pictures, and just relax. Okay, it was really to see if we could find a gator. But I enjoyed reading by the lake. I guess the other stuff isn't too important, I'll keep the post short. We've got pics up on facebook for you to check out.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31065751&l=619766489e&id=77800450

1 comment:

drea said...

Yankee!!!

Can't even imagine what they'd think of me. Good thing I'm not a teacher here...!