Wednesday, July 1, 2009

And we're off...

The past week has been more relaxed then those past. Mason survived all his tests last week and moved into a less stressful week. He worked mostly half days, although coming home to study, after a nap of course. On Monday Mason had a simulated flight (Sim) and did really well. He was paired with the instructor who he feels is the hardest and they received lots of praise. In Mason's class there are 4 co-pilots and 4 Aircraft Commanders (AC), which works out nicely. Mason does his sims with his AC partner Thomas, and he and Thomas will be on the same crew once they hit the flight line. For the most part, it sounds like the guys fly with the same crew throughout training. The crew being made up of ACs, copilots, Instructors, Navigators (navs), and Electronic Warfare Officers (E dubs)

Work is really picking up for me as well. I'm really thankful that I was able to start being a testing evaluator. I think my two bosses see I can handle more responsibilities and I like being able to work more with the kids to see what they really know. Next week I also start more training to teach beginning reading. I already have been tutoring math (K-8th grade) and Academic Reading (mostly 3rd-10th grade). I'm excited to start working with the smaller students on their reading. It still shocks me how many kids don't know letters and numbers when they've just finished kindergarten. I feel fortunate enough to have had parents to teach me those things at home before I even went to school. It makes me really think about what priorities I'll have as a parent. (That statement does not mean to offend anyone, I apologize if it has.)

The more and more I work with children I realize how this truly is my calling. I love it. Kids really do say the funniest things, and I feel like I'm really doing something positive with my life. I've dropped off a few more resumes hoping to get a job for the Fall teaching full time. Again, I am trying not to stress too much, but the closer it gets to August, the more I wonder if we'll be living in Shreveport in a year, and if we are will I have a job teaching? I have a feeling that I'm not the strongest interviewee, but if given the chance I can totally prove myself in the classroom.

Anyways...as a side note on kids saying the funniest things...Mason and I met up with our friends Josh, Andrea, and their son Gavin for a free steak lunch at the O-Club this week. Gavin was quieter than normal, but being ever so cute. Gavin is known for being somewhat of a picky eater (I mean, he's only 2) so he didn't eat much lunch. He even passed up the dessert, but when Andrea got a cup of coffee, Gavin requested some. She put a small amount with some cream in a coffee mug. Gavin proceeds to stick his nose to the edge of the mug and say, "mmm coffee." The cutest thing ever! Today I was supposed to meet some ladies for lunch (but got stuck at the commissary) and Andrea told Gavin that Miss Ellen was going to be there, and apparently he said, "and Mason?" How adorable. As my mom would say, I have the womb wiggles...but Mason and I are still enjoying life as a couple.

That being said, we're off on our 13 hour journey to Johnson City, Tennessee tomorrow to visit with Mason's grandma Carole and Mason's Dad who just moved out there. It looks like we should be able to leave here around 1 or 2pm so that means we can do some sight seeing on the way down. We're loaded up on junk food and caffeine so we'll be all set. There's also a Thai Restaurant right off the highway in Jackson, Mississippi, so we're planning to hit that as a late lunch.

Happy 4th of July everyone! (Almost)

No comments: