Saturday, October 4, 2008

Being sick blues...

(My class on pirate day)


Well, I finally caught my first disease from the little joys of my life. I've got a pretty bad chest cold accompanied with laryngitis. My kids thought it was pretty hilarious that I couldn't talk on Friday. Good thing they had a grammar test. Mason thinks this is a perfect opportunity to make fun of me, while enjoying the quiet...school has been going along pretty well; I can't believe it's already been 7 weeks! My class won the Reach for the Stars reading incentive program that we were participating in. My class brought in almost $500 from reading pledges. Thanks to everyone who supported me. I am especially excited because it means I won a day off from school. My class is now participating in a program called Book It! I'm excited about this, because I did it when I was in school. Basically if the students meet their reading goal they get a certificate to Pizza Hut who supplies a free pizza and other awards. I think I love teaching 3rd-5th grade the most because it's when children first learn to love independent reading. I've introduced the world of Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary to some of them, but others will never give up on Goosebumps or Junie B. Jones...

Mason's been super busy with pilot training , as usual. Last night on a walk he described it as so: "Remember the worst day of college where you had 5 exams to prepare for? It's like that everyday, with pop quizzes once in awhile too." So yeah, I think it's time to send in some brownies to the flight room. Mason's one ride away from his solo formation flight-yea! (a little scary though) and he should have a solo out and back this week.

The weather here has been FANTASTIC! I can say that I really enjoy Texas in October. The weather has been high 70s/low 80s and sunny with a gentle breeze. :-) Any of you Chicagoans are free to visit in the winter months.

Last week while cutting the grass Mason found a little baby bunny in our back yard. We decided to bring the baby bunny inside and make sure it was healthy...well, within a day we had a nice cage supplied with bunny food, alphalfa hay, and water. The bunny thought this was a step up from the bathtub. The bunny was getting pretty comfortable with our touch after a few days, but after a week she didn't make it. Maybe we killed her, that wouldn't be good...but she was a cute bunny, we'll miss her. Suonny Jr. was her name since the adult rabbit who frequents our backyard weeds is Sonny.

Last Friday, we hosted a teacher and family BBQ at our house. It was SO FUN! It was a great way to relax with co-workers after a long week of work. The one bad thing about leaving Texas will be leaving all the nice people we've met here.

No comments: