Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Is it December yet?


Lots has been going on lately. It seems like time is racing past! It seems like it should be December already! School has gotten off to a great start. I really enjoy my class. I have 22 students. They are all very loving, and so hilarious. I had a pretty rotten day yesterday, but I got through because I kept in mind what one of my students had told me. He came into school and as we were going into the classroom and he stopped and said, wow Mrs. Kehs, you look really beautiful today! Ah, children. Gotta love them. Today we started the first day of making paper mache globes. The kids loved it because we were doing hands on work, and they got to be all messy. Tomorrow we'll be painting, which I can just see now...one step at a time...

As many of you know, my class has been participating in a reading incentive program called Reach for the Stars sponsored by Usborne books. They are earning flat pledges for reading 300 minutes or more in two weeks. Almost all 22 of my students are participating. 50% of the money they earn goes towards books that they get to pick out and take home. The other 50% goes to our classroom. Last year we brought in over $600 in just my classroom. We're hoping to bring in $1000 this year. I'm joining my students and have been reading to get pledges. Even scrooge Kehs pledged $5.oo. Thanks to everyone who's been supporting me!

Mason has been so busy and stressed lately. He promised to write an in-depth post this weekend. But a few of his highlights: he spent last weekend flying to and from Las Vegas for a cross country. He flew supersonic this week, (a life goal of his), and he's got his T-38 Instrument Checkride this Friday. A busy time! Once instrument phase is over he'll be on to formation--very fun, but again, stressful.

Meanwhile, I baked a yummy looking cake for the boys tomorrow. We're still on the path to getting junk food out of the house, mainly sweets. It's hard when I love to bake so much. I've been trying to put my efforts towards cooking though. Next week we're having some teachers from my school over for dinner, and the week after is Rosh Hashananah, so there will be lots of baking for sure.

As for some fun family news, today is my Dad's b-day, exciting, but he informed me he had a great day on the boat. Mason's sister's due date was September 5th, but the baby likes his/her home so much she/he is still camping out. We're very excited to meet our new little niece or nephew.

I'm not allowed to comment on the photos, but take a wild guess of who's the pilot in command for most of them. :-D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really proud of you, Ellen. Teaching and doing it well is a great gift to the world. You are changing lives, one kid at a time. Your student was right - you ARE beautiful!
Love, Maureen