I have finished phase 2 of pilot training! WOOOOO
Today, I passed my final checkride in the T-37 Tweet. It was a formation checkride so it was a cool way to end 37s. Normally for formation checkrides, you have two students check together but since the schedule was off, I ended up having an IP fly solo in the other jet. It worked out nicely since he knew how to handle any off the wall situations. The flight was very rough - I ended up flying out the bottom of the area and having problems with energy management. But my work on the wing was pretty solid and I maintained my position for all the different exercises. I went into the debrief thinking I probably busted for the area break but he gave me a break (FINALLY) and passed me with 7 downgrades. We had 4 other guys pass from our flight today too. The other half should finish Tuesday. The next baby class has already taken over our flight room and are starting their dollar rides next week.As soon as we finished the checkrides basically, we got sent off to the T-38 simulator building to do this "screening" / "study" exercise. They take US students fresh out of Phase 2 and put them in a T-38 sim with NO prior knowledge of anything. They had us do a basic instrument profile while they told us to turn different switches in the cockpit. It wasn't too bad, mostly just fun since sitting in the T-38 cockpit (simulator) is so much cooler than anything I've ever flown.
Some highlights about the T-38 Talon: Tandem seating (student in front, IP in back) so no more leaning over and having to fiddle with switches across the cockpit. SUPERSONIC capability. Afterburner. Heads Up Display (HUD). And I'm sure there's more cool stuff that I'll find out later.
T-38s are the last phase of pilot training and it counts for the most points concerning what plane we get out of UPT. My performance in T-37s overall was basically average. My day to day flying was above average. My "officer quality evaluation" was below average. (IPs think I'm a big stiff, so to speak). I passed three of the five checkrides (one was an Outstanding checkride) and busted the other two. So I'm basically driving right down the centerline. Hopefully I can step it up in 38s so I can avoid the crappy phenomenon we've been having with our ENJJPT assignment nights. There's been a wave of aircraft on the lists that are very far from the fighter jets we all envisioned when we started pilot training. Mainly, the U-28 and the mysterious "NSA" assignment where you go fly top-secret super duper danger dude stuff in a rinky dink turboprop plane. As far as the F-15C, my top pick, they haven't given any out in about 6 months. And the guys who received them back then haven't even gotten a date for when they go to training. The pipeline for it is just all backed up and with the F-22s being the big man on campus, not a lot of people are pushing for more F-15C cockpits. And did I mention UAVs are going to be dropped on us any time now? Come this November, it will be a very very interesting assignment night.
With all the aftermath of the T-38 accident we had here, the whole schedule is being shifted back for everyone. My class was originally going to graduate in the beginning of November but now it looks like we'll be sometime in December. They've been keeping us on edge to find out when we even start T-38 academics but it looks like they might have a drawn out academic phase for us rather than give us a break and then go full steam. Sometime in the next few weeks we also go to the centrifuge to make sure we're tough enough.
So, good to be done. Excited to fly the T-38. Not excited to relearn a whole new set of numbers and procedures.
Friday, May 23, 2008
TWEET COMPLETE
Posted by
Ellen
at
3:53:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment